Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Vegan Mofo Day 12: leftovermania!

Holy frustrating. I wrote a version of this post last night in bed, but when I hit "Publish" something went wrong (don't ask me, I'm not a computer) and the whole thing got deleted. So this version is a day late and a dollar short.

Monday was a day of tying of loose ends at the parents' place. We started making plans for Christmas, I managed to see my brother for a brief lunch visit, I spent an hour retrieving my things from where they had inevitably been scattered over the entire house... and of course we did our best to use up the weekend's leftovers. The 'rents are leaving on Friday for a three week tour in Ireland (LUCKY) and the last thing they want is a fridge full of weird vegan leftovers.

And so we have: Pumpkin Smoothies


There are a ton of recipes for these floating around the internets right now, and I can't claim that mine is the most delicious, but I will claim that it was EXTREMELY delicious. Of course I don't have a real recipe because I cook by putting things in a vessel (blender, pot, etc.) and tasting until I like it, but I can approximate. It was simple, rich, and filling (and felt like drinking a milkshake for breakfast).

Ingredients (serves 3):
3 cups pumpkin puree (home cooked, so waterier than canned)
2 super-ripe bananas
3 tbsp almond butter
3-4 tbsp flax meal
pumpkin pie spices to taste
almond milk added to reach desired consistency

For dinner we had a big mess o' leftover goodness.


Clockwise from the top: kale, asparagus, and red peppers, sauteed in a little olive oil with fresh garden mini-leeks and sesame seeds; "Thanksgiving risotto"; leftover spaghetti squash with slow roasted tomato sauce.

The Thanksgiving risotto -- as a friend has dubbed it -- was a culinary revelation. So fast! So delicious! So exactly what I want to eat every day forever! I had a leftover tub of long-grain white rice cooked in veggie broth, half a sweet potato, and some roasted zucchini that was basically squash puree (and could be easily replaced with pumpkin, though the zucchini was nice and light). Basically I threw it all in a pot (in roughly equivalent proportions) and cooked on medium, adding lots of water as I went to get everything really creamy. I flavoured it with rosemary, cinnamon, ginger, and a splash of maple syrup, then added in a fistful each of dried cranberries and walnuts. If we hadn't already had kale on the side I would have added in some diced kale leaves or something else green (you may be able to detect a few green flecks in the photo -- there was a little kale in the rice to being with).

Did I mention that this was so so good? In fact, the whole meal was a taste medley of semi-epic proportions. I heart leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment