Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Vegan Mofo Day 19: falling behind...

The last few days have been rough. I had been feeling much better for a while, and then relapsed quite badly on Sunday/Monday (probably due to lowered vigilance re: food, particularly at restaurants). My naturopath had advised me to cut out onions, grapefruit, and oranges, and not to try reintroducing anything until I was totally stable; she also prescribed phosphorus as part of a homeopathic treatment. I was falling all these recommendations carefully and feeling better, and then in a fit of stupidity ate some "mystery hummus" at a restaurant, and the next day some veggie Pad Thai, again with sauce ingredients undisclosed.

The only thing worse than feeling gross is knowing you brought it on yourself. I saw my naturopath again today and she advised avoiding restaurant eating wherever possible, not eating anything if I don't know its precise ingredients, and... finding strategies to manage my anxiety.

Talk about terrible timing! This weekend I am presenting at AND co-organizing a huge workshop for 20 major scholars in my field flying in from all around Canada. I have hostessing duties, organizational duties, and my own paper to worry about, not to mention needing to remain alert and intelligent for two 12-hour-long days of intensive paper-workshopping with some scary-smart people. The whole event is catered because the days are so long. I've done my best to make sure everyone's dietary restrictions are accommodated, including my own, but I will not have detailed ingredient lists and I know that I should be bringing rice and veggies from home rather than risking it, but I know equally that I absolutely do not have the time. Wishing for a rice cooker right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment